Friday, July 5, 2013

Health in Mongolia


Being in a country that is considered a third world nation has it’s many struggles. I often find myself comparing my life here to my life in America. In some instances I feel like it is unjust for me to do that because there are different factors such as culture and historic tradition that influence the way that people live in Mongolia. One of the first things that appeared different to life in “America Land” was the health conditions in Mongolia. I did not really notice this until I was placed in my training site.
Where I am currently located is called a soum. The best way to describe a soum would to categorize it as a suburb. Anyway, prior to coming and during my stay in Mongolia, I had to receive various immunizations to ensure that my health remained the same. There are many factors that influence the reason why Mongolians may not have the same health advantages that are offered in the U.S. For one there is a lack of resources depending on where you live. In the soum that I live in, most, if not all people do not have running water. They have to get their water from a well. Luckily for me, my family has a well in their hacha/yard. 
Aside from that the more isolated one is the less likely it will be that they will have a health facility that can surpass all their needs. When I traveled to the clinic that is in my soum one thing that I picked up on was that there wasn’t running water or that the work facilitators did not carry out certain cleanly traditions that were practiced back home (wearing gloves). Also I was told that if there were certain health problems that could not be treated in someone’s soum they would have to travel to the nearest aimag or to the capital Ulaanbaatar. Depending on where you live this trip to the capital could be anywhere from 5-15 hours.
Mongolians recognize that they are faced with certain conditions and they do take some steps to prevent illnesses. One thing I noticed was that Mongolians usually only drink water that has been boiled. Mongolians love their teas (milk tea, and green tea are my family’s favorites).  I am a fan of Mongolian teas. It has an acquired taste but once you get used to it, you begin to crave it throughout your day. Also Mongolians apply small portion of salt to their teas to prevent dehydration. This is something I would have never thought to do. I plan on doing it in the future when I am on my own.
Now I am not writing this blog to bash Mongolians, it is more to give an insight to friends and family members who are reading this to experience this part of the world through my eyes. I have taken the good and the bad and I beginning to formulate my own theories on how I will spend my next two years, trying to remain as healthy as I possibly can. I have to momentarily abandoned my American way of life and live like the Mongolians. I am more than excited to do so and I cannot wait to experience the hardships and also fantastic memories that will come my way!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your writing and try to envision every minute detail you speak about. Continue writing hon - cherished memories.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete