Friday, July 19, 2013

Team Teaching Week 1


This was my first week of Team Teaching. It was a wonderful feeling to have a class. I have consistently been going back in forth in my short 22-year-old life questioning if teaching was right for me. Me having the hands on experience in Mongolia has proved to myself that this is what I can imagine myself doing for a career. The classes were split into two groups. Beginner and novice –low. The group that I taught was novice low. What I admired most about these students was there drive and excitement to learn. There were the occasional talkative students but nonetheless they had a drive that I deeply admired. In America, education is a given right to citizens. There are many communities that you go to where students are disengaged to learn. I think some of the excitement is largely due to the fact that they are being taught English by native speakers. The students also love being around Americans because we are different from what they see everyday.

I also solo-taught this week. I taught the students the concept of time in English. I imagined it to be a topic that would be relatively easy to students but it was very challenging for them. At times when I was teaching and the students were not understanding the model of the language quickly, I had to constantly remind myself that this is not their native language and things that may come easy to me will not be so easy for them to comprehend. I overall love the feeling of teaching and not only that, I love making connections with students who genuinely want to be around you. I am trying to detach myself emotionally from these students because I will only be in my soum for 3 more weeks. We’ll see how the next few weeks of training plays out!



The Students in my team-teaching class.

Me and some of the girls in my class. They are very precious jewels!

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying this journey through your eyes.

    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I am so proud of you. I can only imagine how nervous you felt at first, but I know that once you warmed up those nervous butterflies went away.

    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete